Monday, January 11, 2010

First Post & First Projects with Cables

Well, here I am: a new blogger with a passion for knitting ready to post my successes, secrets, and frustrations for the world! My name is Kristine and I am Knittin' Smitten.

I am relatively new to knitting, but have already completed some projects (sadly unavailable for photographs, but happily in new homes). For the most part, I will be able to post at least some information about everything on which I work. I plan to use this as a catalog of my projects, a reference source, and a teaching tool - not too mention a journal of sorts.

In honor of this being my first post, below are three photographs of two of my first completed projects. Comments and questions are happily received.





Fingerless Gauntlets in Blue.

The pattern, Dashing, is from Knitty and can be found HERE. These went pretty quickly and were worked from the wrist up with several large cables. The most challenging part was getting the thumb on (you use waste yarn on the main glove and then stitch onto those stitches) without pulling and leaving gaps in the rest of the glove.




Materials Used:
- Size 7 (US) Double Pointed Needles (Image: Here)
- 1 Ball of Pattons Classic Wool (223 yards/100 grams) in Denim Marl (77116).
- U Cable Stitch Holder (I use these.)





Simple Cabled Hat.

This is the project that taught me about gauge (and got me going on knitting in the first place). A Christmas or two ago, my lovely boyfriend Curtis asked for a knit hat. First, I had to learn how to knit. After making three inches of a hat that might have fit King Kong, I then proceeded to make a hat that fits me, but not Curtis. So, what you see here is Hat v. 3.0. As soon as I finish my hat (lovely and coordinating, but not matchy-matchy), I'll post a picture as well.

Materials Used:
- Size 7 (US) Double Pointed Needles(Image: Here)
- U Cable Stitch Holder (I use these.)
- 1 Ball Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton in Walnut (brown)
- 1 Ball Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton in Pistachio (green)
- 1 Ball Lion Brand Nature's Choice Organic Cotton in Macademia (cream)
Yarn can be purchased HERE





So here's to my new blog. May it prove helpful as a reference, or at least provide some insight into the life of the newly knitted.

And, if all else fails, my mother has promised to read my blog. Hi Mom!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristine,

    Your grandmother told me you had a new blog. Thought I'd check it out. Looks great! Congratulations!

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kristine,

    This is Baah using Gail's computer.

    Did you know you can buy knitting materials in Thrift stores and Antique Malls? Both usually have very reasonable prices. That includes patterns, yarn, needles and sometimes even messed up knitting projects! A lot of the patterns you might find in thrift of antique malls are vintage to mid century modern style. It's lots of fun just to look through those kinds of stores. The Thrift store purchases usually helps a charity too. Kills two birds with one stone, so to speak.

    Tidbits from Knitwits,

    Baah & Gail

    ReplyDelete